Thanks for all your kind comments about the indigo adventure! It’s an annual thing since 2011 and I wrote more about the indigo dyeing process back then, with links to sources. It’s not as complicated as it might seem. And the yardage is already seeing action in some pineapple blocks that have a much longer back-story (with more overdyeing!) that we’ll save for later.
How about a barn today instead?
Ever just get distracted by shiny things? Yeah…that’s me. I’m lately a magpie collecting bits and pieces of materials and ideas to play around with in my nest. And my attention span is about the same as a tiny-brained bird. Although deadlines loom, I have to indulge the monogam-ish tendencies and get in a quickie here and there in order to return to hunkering down with slower projects.
It is in this mood that I came upon Gale Zucker‘s Instagram of a red barn in snowy Vermont. Gale’s a great photographer and her IG-stream does not disappoint. This shot, in particular, is a perfectly cropped image of a minimalist structure with appealing proportions and vertical mirror symmetry. And the red isn’t trite.
And I just wonder what’s inside. It haunted me. So I immediately asked Gale for permission to use her photo as inspiration for a quilt and she agreed without hesitation. Whew. It took a while to clear the decks, get healthy enough, and develop the confidence to start building. First, I ruminated on fabrics and settled on some grunge.
And after grinding some numbers in a spreadsheet, I sketched a plan for construction. The sewing of the top took just one evening of deep concentration and precision work. It was almost magical to see the whole barn emerge at the end because I was so immersed in the details. Giddy, I shared a blurry yellowed low-light photo of the top with Gale and did a jig of joy. And then…the quilting.
Just baste and mark and measure and take it very very slow. Some trapunto (stuffed work) helps the windows, white moldings, and roof pop. And the rest is just linear fills of 1/4″ channel quilting.
Yep, there were many threads to bury.
I put some swirly diamonds in the sky.
And don’t forget the lamp! Hand embroidered the thin electrical fitting that marks the center of the facade with stem stitch and then needle turn appliqued a stylized light fixture. This was both precise in proportions and improvisational with the ovate “bulb.”
This was a fun fun fun project for learning tons of new things.
Even the back is killing me with new ideas to explore.
Welcome to my barn! It’s not completely done yet…gotta remove some stubborn pencil marks, but it’s ready to be seen here.
Materials: various commercial semisolids; muslin on back
Techniques machine pieced; needle turn applique; machine quilted; trapunto; hand bound
Finished size: about 30″ square
Started : March 20, 2015
Finished: March 27, 2015