Like in some other crafty things in my life these days, I was under the influence of JulieFrick at the time when I started this project. Yes, yes, let’s blame Julie. Heh. She wanted to motivate herself to finish some quilt tops and so she declared that she’d sew one block a day all summer. And after a flutter of messages a new challenge was born: 60 Blocks of Summer. It was a great group for conversation, ideas and contagious momentum. And I met several new-to-me online quilters. Oh, and I made 122 blocks last summer.
My buddy, Danielle, called it “purely insane simplicity.” Well, she was making a more expansive statement at the time about that being the way to describe my textile work. I’ve come to embrace it and explicitly explore it lately.
What’s so insane? I pieced together the smallest scraps in my house to make new fabric that I then sliced up again to make the log cabin blocks. The parts became tiny sometimes after all the slicing and dicing.
It was the beginning of my summer break from work and I needed to completely disengage. I found The Zone and ended up making 36 of these blocks from scratch in less than a week.
Then a few weekends ago I basted the top on impulse and just started doing some channel quilting.
The backing is a vintage sheet from the thrift shop and the batting is made from recycled plastic soda bottles, so that’s why it’s green. The binding is some County Fair dots on lightweight canvas.
Pattern: log cabin (using 2" strips of improv pieced scraps)
Materials: white-on-white fabrics from stash; tons of tiny cotton scraps donated by my flickr friends; vintage sheet for backing; Dream Green batting
Techniques: machine pieced; machine quilted; hand-bound
Patchwork size: 63.5" square
Patchwork started: June 15, 2010
Patchwork finished: June 20, 2010
Quilt finished: January 29, 2011